Sunday, April 7, 2013

F is for Friends who do stuff together.

I met my very best friend in junior high, more than eight years ago. We've been through a lot together, but we always came through stronger and closer. Now that we are older and have more responsibilities (and a significant other on her side) we spend less time together - but we work in the same building now and I will always feel closest to her out of everybody.


I remember her showing up to visit me a few times when I was in the psych ward - she would bring Pokemon playing cards and we would play go-fish until she had to leave.

I remember how cool we thought we were when we wore spikes and chains, rebelling against authority and against our classmates. We look back on those days with embarrassment and humor - mostly embarrassment.

I remember when my mother wouldn't let me see her because she was a "bad influence" on me - I would leave an hour early and trek through the snow in -50c weather to get to her house so that we could walk to school together.


I remember laughing when she threw a juice box at me while I was getting stung by wasps after I stepped on a nest because she didn't know what to do.

I remember making her cry when I was taken to the mental hospital, and being unable to comfort her.

I remember times when we were each other's only comfort.


To be honest, I wasn't always a very good friend. During grade ten I was very depressed, very impulsive, and sometimes very mean. We ended up not talking for months in High School - I waited for her to forgive me. I'm glad that she did.

She is one of most supportive people in my life, and I feel that she has been one of the most positive influences on me overall. We have changed a lot in the last eight or nine years, but still click instantly when we're together.

Fun fact: she even threatens to feed me pork rinds when I stop eating. In fact, she drew me a picture to remind me - I keep it on my bedroom wall:


I love you, Kaitie. Thank you for everything.

3 comments:

  1. Hold on to this wonderful friend. She is gold.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend like this, too. We met when we were 13 and now we are 46 and our kids play together. She is the only person I still know who knew my dad (he died young). Friends like this are a gift. You guys are lucky. My life would be much poorer without her.

    Ruby is participating in the A to Z Challenge
    Ruby Wilbur

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is beautiful indeed, as are you for recognising her as such.

    ReplyDelete